Saturday, February 7

Spazieren gehen durch die Altstadt

(strolling through the Altstadt)

Since I had pretty much nothing to do today, I decided to head downtown and wander around for a bit. Even though I've been here for two weeks or so, I haven't had really had much of a chance to just walk around the Altstadt and get a sense of where things are, which basically means that I tend to get lost a lot. This is kind of embarrassing once you realize just how small the Altstadt is.

Here we have the old city wall (the one in front is from the middle ages and behind that is the old roman wall. Sorry for the bad focus.


close up of the Roman wall
translation of the sign:

"This is the south-east corner of the perimeter wall of the Roman fort "Castra Regina" (fort on the river Regen). In front of this wall is a small tower from the middle ages (1383) that was part of the town wall. Uncovered in 1955/61."

close up of one of the firing slits in the medieval wall

ivy on the medieval town wall

moving on, here is a pretty building

This is the Dom (cathedral) again. Here you can see just how dirty the Dom was and how nice of a job they have done cleaning it up.

Some buildings right across the street from the Dom

Not quite as picturesque as the image up top but certainly more representative of what it's actually like here (eternally gray).

An old mill (?) that is on an island in the middle of the Danube

More old Roman stuff - this is the remains of a gateway into the Castra Regina.

A sign explaining what this looked like back in the day. I'm not translating all of that.
A pretty neat church (1 of 55 in the Altstadt, or 125 in the entire city). The engraving says, "I am the way and the truth and the life; no one comes to the father except through me. John 14:6"

1 comment:

  1. I put this on your facebook as well. Enjoy!

    Matt. How many women have you impregnated in Germany? I'll put it this way...20 women would not be enough. You have a chance to have kids in multiple countries...just think of the horrible possibilities. I'm thinking of them. DO IT.

    ReplyDelete