Friday, February 13

Yes, I'm Still Alive

I realize that I haven't updated in about a week and there are of course several reasons - first up, I've been very busy with school work/life in general, second not too much new has been going on here. That said, things are starting to get interesting again so expect a bit more in the coming week or so.

For this coming Monday we were given an even more ridiculous number of words to learn (somewhere around 800 ish) so it looks like I will be spending a good chunk of this weekend on scholarly pursuits, but I'm going to try to do some more wandering again too. On the coming Wednesday, our group is heading to Berlin for 5 days (Wed - Sun) so after that I should have enough pictures and stories for about a week's worth of posts.

I'm starting to get excited because my German has gotten noticeably better in the last week or so. Tuesday was my suite mate Katjia's birthday so she had a bunch of her friends over then and then put together a pretty elaborate party on Thursday night, so I got a lot of chances to meet people who aren't Americans. Katjia is from the Ukraine and most of her friends are from the Ukraine or eastern Europe, which means it's often easier to understand their German since they tend to speak a lot slower because it's not their native language. Of course they have an accent but since my German is pretty bad, it's not so easy for me to detect. All of this translates into lots of language practice, which is great. Since I've gotten here (only 3 weeks ago but it feels like it's been ages) I've picked up so much vocab. I can now understand 95% of what people say and actually carry out a somewhat intelligent conversation. I'm pretty psyched about what kind of shape I will be in in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment